UI Software Engineer
Criterion Games – Guildford, UK
EA make games that entertain millions of people across the globe, with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. Their passion for outstanding games is demonstrated through AAA audio-visual quality and technical innovation in the Burnout and Need for Speed series. Their work can most recently be seen in Battlefield 1, Star Wars X-Wing VR, Star Wars Battlefront II, and Battlefield V.
They believe that healthy and engaged teams make great games, so they place enormous value on collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. For the past three years, they have been recognised by gamesindustry.biz as one of the best places to work in the UK!
Their UI/UX team oversees the presentation and framing of the game, building all the menus and in-game feedback systems, and connecting the game’s features together into a consistent and exciting experience for players. You’ll work on things like extending car customisation flows, generating maps, implementing new rendering techniques for HUD elements, improving workflows, and bringing it all together to achieve a bold and stimulating vision.
The software engineers on the team work with their artists, designers, and scripters to guarantee that they have the tools needed to build content, optimised to ensure that the end result runs smoothly. They ultimately help to deliver the best possible game into players' hands. Criterion works in cross-discipline groups, so you can also expect to work with people in other areas such as their audio, online, and gameplay teams. As such, you will see the full scope of game development.
To succeed in this role, you'll need the following skills and XP:
- Experience of C++ or C# programming
- A history of creating games or prototypes in a game engine (e.g. Unreal or Unity)
- An understanding of game UI, and a passion to create great player experiences
The studio will offer in return:
- A great compensation package, plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (five minutes from the main train station)
- Private medical insurance and dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free on-site gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- 25 days holiday (including three days company shutdown between Christmas and New Year)
- Casual dress code
Interested in learning more?
Get in touch with us!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777