IO Interactive – Copenhagen, DK or Malmo, SE
Would you like to set the technical direction for a new, unannounced multiplayer game developed by the AAA independent studio behind the HITMAN franchise? Silly question, really. Would you like to move to Denmark or Sweden, complete with relocation support, temporary accommodation, flights, and visas for you and your family?
Founded more than 20 years ago, with offices in both Copenhagen and Malmö, IO Interactive is famed for the creation of several AAA games including Hitman, Kane & Lynch, Freedom Fighters, Mini Ninjas and their latest title, Project 007.
Working in close cooperation with the Game Director and the Executive Producer, you will transform high level business requirements and creative visions into a technology roadmap covering the entire game project. This will include taking responsibility for the code architecture and technology vision, as well as the development/implementation of best practices. You'll also be looked at to help motivate and inspire the programming department with how you conduct yourself.
Your day-to-day will involve the following:
- Establishing the programming vision for the entire project, in-line with the Game Director’s vision
- Throughout the duration of the project, update and adjust the roadmap according to project progress and changes, with the aim of keeping agreed scope and deadlines
- Ensure the technology roadmap is successfully implemented
- Help to set the group of technical team leads up for success
- Provide and update high-level estimates for all areas of the game to the Executive Producer and help with prioritisation
- Ensure the tech vision for the project is aligned with the studio’s overall tech vision, by coordinating with the CTO and Tech Directors for other projects
- Evangelise the technical direction of the entire project internally as well as externally
- Coordinate the technical direction of the individual development teams with the technical team leads
- Establish coding best practices and follow up with lead and senior programmers to make sure that these requirements are met
- Provide clear direction and feedback to the employees working on the programming areas of the project (for example, through task force sprint kick-off and review meetings)
- Work in collaboration with directors and leads of other disciplines to determine the technological needs of the project in conjunction with constraints and project requirements
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the programming team
- Participate in the interview process for the programming team
- Bring input to employees’ performance review process
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- A technically strong leader capable of analysing the strengths and weaknesses of an engine, with the ability to use it accordingly
- The ability to lead development of all novel technical aspects of a project, including game specific programming, in a structured and future-proof way
- At least 5+ years of experience as a Lead Programmer or a comparable technical leadership role
- Thorough experience working on at least one multiplayer, AAA title
- Proven track record of game programming from various projects
- Able to provide leadership and cultivate a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- In-depth knowledge of technological constraints on various platforms
- Deep knowledge in C++ and C# languages and system architecture
- Experienced with general and platform specific game and engine optimisations
- The skills to help establish systems for planning, reporting, and controlling various aspects of programming
- A willingness to get stuck in and to work hands-on to achieve goals on time
- Cross-platform development experience
- Multiplayer/networking programming experience on a AAA title
- University diploma in programming, computer engineering, software engineering or an equivalent
Want to learn more?
Get in touch with me!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777