Smilegate – Barcelona, ES
Smilegate have big ambitions, and are looking for an aspiring or existing Technical Director to lead a team of highly skilled programmers to perform in the most effective way, fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation, learning and healthy communication.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Working hand in hand with all other departments to identify specific needs, building a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordination with QA, Build Engineers, Gameplay, and Engine coders to define the best coding processes that balance rapid iteration with stability
- Championing excellence in programming practices, review code, and help architecting the most complex systems
- Communication with console manufacturers to understand and get the best of the latest generation hardware
- Continuous monitoring of the performance of all game systems
- Coordinating Engine coders establishing code guidelines, code structure, and performance budgets
- Establishing a world-class Programming team by being involved in the interviewing and hiring process
- Being the mentor, guide, and leader of your team of handpicked coders
- Providing meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1on1 sessions, and 360 feedback
- Staying on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
The skills and experience you'll need…
- The ability to operate at a high and low levels, being capable of hands-on work as well as leadership and mentorship to your team
- A comprehensive understanding of the Unreal Engine and how to expand it, including its hidden limitations
- An understanding of all game engine systems needed for an open world AAA
- A deep desire to build up a world-class AAA team
- An excellent track record with credits on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Lead Engine programmer or Technical Director
- Expertise with building Game Engine components
- Unreal Engine specialisation in a modern console environment
- Innovative thinker with creative problem-solving skillset
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment
- Intuition for leading and delegation as required
In an incredible industry made up of game studios all striving to be the best, it's rare that a new studio has the chance to become a standout. This is the chance of a lifetime.
For more details email me on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01709 834777