Server / Backend Engineer
Hutch Games – London, UK
How do you like the sound of working at a dynamic games studio that’s founded on a wealth of traditional game development experience, where you’ll be joining a bunch of talented developers passionate about making the best in free to play games?
Hutch are on the hunt for a Server Engineer to join the team in their central London studio, from which they’re dedicated to building the next generation of cloud based backend services to power their successful mobile games.
You will be motivated by collaborating with a team comprised of other engineers, designers and artists in a way that lets the collective achieve more than they would individually, all with the goal of creating experiences that delight gamers.
Hutch believe in putting their people first. At Hutch you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends, comfortable knowing the studio is always striving to ensure the team is happy and healthy.
Hutch's teams are small and empowered with the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, working collaboratively to make great games and have fun along the way.
Your can expect your responsibilities to include…
- Designing, prototyping and developing application layer code and database schema for new gameplay systems
- Maintaining a focus on security, scalability, high availability and high performance
- Developing new ways to guarantee the robustness of the servers via unit, integration, load testing and profiling
- Writing tools to allow administration of online services in a data driven manner
- Support other engineers through regular peer review
- Plan for the future in design discussions to utilise new technology
- Actively researching new tech and experiment with new techniques that could be used in the studio’s titles
Your skills and experience should include…
- Proven commercial experience as a server/network or backend developer
- Experience of working in a high load environment
- Broad experience of server/network programming and principles, including database design, replication, load balancing, reliable/unreliable messaging, latency minimisation, security
- Keen interest in the latest Web technologies
Bonus points if you have experience of…
- Unity 3D
- Good understanding of data structures and algorithm design
- Cloud Native/distributed system design
- Distributed databases
- An understanding of CAP theorem
- Containerisation and orchestration – Docker, DC/OS (Marathon), Kubernetes etc
- Microsoft Azure
To find out more and kick start your career contact Jordan via email at email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777.