Senior Technical Designer
Splash Damage – London, UK
Splash Damage are on the look out for a Senior Technical Designer to work closely with the design team, contributing to the game design.
In this role, you'll identify technical pitfalls and challenges while offering solutions and opportunities to innovate. You will prove new features by developing prototypes or providing accessible prototypes for the design team to experiment with. It'll also be your responsibility to maintain familiarity with the technical and design aspects of the game’s development.
You will mentor, coach, manage and direct other Designers if necessary, including identifying Designers to work on features, levels or products within the studio. You will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will liaise with other disciplines in the development of complex features representing Design’s interests, ensuring implementation meets the design brief.
You will act as a technical reference for designers in evaluating features and setting or sharing best practices in production workflows within the team and studio. Supporting the programming team will accompany your direct responsibilities, and you'll do this by assisting in debugging and optimization or undertaking light programming work. You will carry out development tasks such as implementing scripted features on systems or levels.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary, you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
The skills and experience you'll need…
- A passion for making and playing games, especially the design and technical aspects of their creation.
- Significant industry track record and credits on at least 1 shipped AAA (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer components, worked on from concept to delivery
- An ability to work independently without close supervision
- Expertise with a scripting or programming language (visual or text based)
- Knowledge and understanding in multiple areas of design, with emphasis in areas where digital prototyping is required
- A history of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- A background writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- A familiarity with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
Bonus points if you have…
- Leadership and mentorship skills and motivation
- Knowledge of players motivations, psychology and cognitive biases
- Experience with C# or C++
- An aspiration to create holistic designs where systems and subsystems work together to make a whole that is more than the sum of its parts
- Some knowledge of design methodologies and frameworks (e.g. MDA, Rational Game Design, PENS etc)
- An undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science
Interested in this role? Want to know more?
Get in touch with Dan Hawkins on 01709 834777 or email email@example.com