Senior Technical Artist
Unbroken Studios – Los Angeles, US
Unbroken Studios are searching for a Senior technical Artist to join their Los Angeles-based team! Made up of 50+ veteran video game developers with proven track records in building best-in-class games, across all platforms, they develop games for one of the world’s largest publishers. Their extensive list of credits includes some of the most memorable game experiences from the last twenty years including blockbuster franchises such as Battlefield, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and God of War. Their “unbroken” passion for game development has endured the highs and lows of this industry – there’s nothing else they’d ever do.
As their Senior Technical Artist, you will be responsible for research, innovation and giving technical support to team members to guide and assist them in the best practices possible to ensure highest technical quality of asset production.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Working primarily in the game editor with the Engine, Tools and Pipeline teams to prioritize and develop tools/scripts/plugins to streamline art processes, workflows and pipelines
- Troubleshooting and triaging artist issues with tools and art creation workflow
- Prototyping new techniques to facilitate more efficient content production
- Striving to maximize art production performance and predictability
- Creating complex materials for characters, weapons and environments
- Establishing workflows and tools for other artists to utilise when making unique assets
- Solving problems in pipeline and for individuals on as-needed basis
- Assisting in establishing standards, conventions and best practices for asset creation and integration workflow
- Ensuring that assets are being properly integrated Manage resolution when problems arise
- Contributing to the management and integration of art and animation assets and ensure are optimal for performance and memory
- Maintaining filename and folder structure for editor and raw art assets
- Working with tools engineer on procedural data asset validation (budgets, lods, pivots, naming, etc)
- Functioning as the bridge from rendering engineer to art team with the goal of optimizing assets to achieve 60fps on various platforms
- Overseeing master materials for all art assets
- Supporting art team with DDC (Maya/Max/Blender) tools
- Exploring new techniques (e.g. volumetric fog) with rendering engineers
- Evaluating art assets from construction quality standpoint (UV unwrap, texel density, poly layout/density)
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 5+ years of professional development as a Technical Artist
- Excellent team work skillset, particularly the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and visually
- A positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- A proficiency with standard industry tools like Maya, 3ds Max
- A strong understanding of methods of optimising game art assets for game engines
- An in-depth understanding of PBR principles and material editors
- A track record modelling and using texturing packages such as Substance Designer and Painter
- Up to date knowledge of current art techniques and development processes
- An ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- A passion for making great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience with Unreal Engine and/or Houdini
- Strong understanding of MEL/Python/Maxscript.or similar systems
Interested? Want to know more?
Don't hesitate to get in touch!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777