Senior Shader Artist
Guerrilla Games – Amsterdam, NL
I'm looking to find a Senior Shader Artist to join Guerrilla Games, the Amsterdam based studio behind the critically acclaimed action RPG Horizon Zero Dawn and the upcoming Horizon Forbidden West.
if you're a creative and passionate artist who lives for world building and crafting textures and materials that tell a story within the game environment then this could well be the role for you!
As the Senior Shader Artist you will contribute to the artistic vision and development of one of the industry's most anticipated AAA games as a key part of the studio's integrated Tech Art Team.
Your responsibilities will be to…
- Develop the artistic look of the material expressions in the game world
- Help develop tools and pipelines and workflows used by both internal and external artists to create and apply materials
- Craft photorealistic materials using your expertise of the physics behind light and colour (through photography, texture generation, code and node-based shading tools)
- Build and maintain an internal PBR material library and assist with maintaining technical and quality standards
- Develop material and shading pipelines, workflows, and tools that are future-proof and industry-leading while keeping current console hardware requirements in mind
- Collaborate with production artists on creating materials for in-game use
- Work with Art Directors, Asset Artists and Environment Artists to achieve a consistent high-quality style
- Create organised material workflows between Substance Designer, Painter and in-house material tooling
- Tutor other artists in shading techniques, and work with our Engine Programmers to identify and develop new techniques
- Evaluate scope estimates to ensure material assets are in line with project schedules
Ready to compare nodes? I'd love to hear from you if…
- You have at least shipped one AAA game title or have worked in equivalent industry
- Have experience writing shaders with HLSL, GLSL or equivalent
- You have strong linear algebra skills
- Possess in-depth knowledge of cutting-edge shader techniques
- Have a strong understanding of PBR materials and workflows
- Proven experience with node-based shader creation tools such as Maya, XSI or Unreal
- Have a strong understanding of game development with a focus on materials
- You have a good understanding of the architecture of modern GPU's, memory and performance constraints, and know how to optimize shaders while maintaining high quality
- You have strong communication skills and a good command of the English language
- You enjoy working in agile, multi-disciplinary teams
Are you interested in learning more about this role?
Get in touch with Jasmin for a confidential chat about the role, the studio and their culture.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777.