Senior Game Designer
Splash Damage – London, UK
Splash Damage are on the lookout for a Senior Game Designer to be responsible for numerous critical features of a game, or the complete design of a companion product, driving end to end implementation across the team. Helping to maintain and realise the vision, you'll be defining quality targets and validating the quality targets of others across the entire project, cross discipline.
You will work to create a unified game experience and realise and communicate the game vision across the team, ensuring alignment across all disciplines. As the Senior Game Designer, you will create and maintain documentation including the GDD and wiki pages, though you will largely communicate verbally; spending time with each design team member and feature team member, ensuring they understand the vision and design, are “bought-in” and have what they need to do their jobs.
If necessary, deputizing for your Lead, you will regularly and effectively communicate with any external partners or publishers; managing those relationships, presenting the creative achievements of the team, negotiating feature / change requests.
You will manage, mentor & coach Game Designers, including working with Production and your direct reports to schedule tasks. You will act as hiring manager for junior designer, and will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary, you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
You will implement feature optimisations and tuning plans; you will own the tuning for accountable features or levels. You will parse feedback from focus group sessions, integrating relevant feedback into the product design.
You will verify task estimates provided by junior staff and in turn work with your Lead to give your own accurate estimates for work as well as logging work in management software. You will provide input to Production / Management on project schedules throughout development to prioritise tasks / workload for the developers responsible for their assigned feature-set, in alignment with the product vision. You will articulate the impact of changes to the game-design to the developers on your team.
The skills and experience you'll need…
- A deep understanding of all aspects of design including; feedback, controls, balance, narrative, game-feel, retention, usability, on-boarding, social mechanics
- Industry history in a Senior position and credits on 1 or more shipped AAA current PS4 / XBOX ONE console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from concept to launch
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Expertise prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- Familiarity with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- A collaborative mentality with other disciplines and a track record of being a key part of a Senior group
- Strong maths skillset; formulas, probability, statistics and balancing
- An understanding of systems, systemic design, emergent gameplay and the place of procedural content generation in development
- Deep player empathy
Bonus points if you have skills and experience with…
- Unreal Blueprints
- Traditional art
- Scripting or programming language
- Being a developer during the live phase of a game as a service, including using telemetry / metrics to inform design and content decisions
Interested in this role? Want to know more? Get in touch with Simon Hope on 01709 834777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org