Senior Character Artist
Build a Rocket Boy – Edinburgh, UK
Always fancied waking up in Scotland's beautiful capital city? This is your chance to join a brand new studio in one of the most vibrant places in the UK.
Edinburgh has everything on offer, from its own castle and a zoo for a fun-filled family day out, to some of the best nightlife the UK has to offer!
This may be a new studio, but it has been founded by industry veterans, with decades of experience between them. You will have ample opportunity to demonstrate your creative flair and build upon your existing management experience within this role. You'll also get to undertake personal development as you collaborate closely with the Art Director and Lead Character Artist, guiding the creation of character assets on an ambitious open-world title.
As their new Senior Character Artist, you'll manage a talented team through an experienced approach to production. You'll be able to communicate effectively with expert hands-on experience with 3D packages. You will use your skills to encourage and drive the team to produce a wide range of exceptional characters.
You will be an expert in your field, who is up-to-date with all of the latest tools. You should be experienced and confident with leading and motiving teams to greatness. Organisation, strong communication, excellent soft skills, and a meticulous attention to detail will all be second nature to you after your 4+ years in the industry.
Your day-to-day will involve the following tasks:
- Work closely with the Art Director and Lead Character Artists to define the visual quality goals for character assets
- Effectively lead a team of Character Artists in the creation of a variety of 3D characters and character props
- Oversee the quality of all character art content through all phases of production
- Manage and advance an organised pipeline and environment art workflow
- Work with technical disciplines and the engine team to improve workflow and character fidelity
- Work with the production team to manage deliverables, ensuring they meet the defined objectives, quality bar, and schedule
- Manage, mentor, and inspire team members, guiding them with clear direction
- Create high quality 3D characters, UV maps, and textures, ensuring they match all technical and artistic requirements
- Promote a culture of collaborative innovation
- Ensure team assets conform to the defined technical and artistic requirements
- Create best practice assets to serve as guidance to other team members
- Implement and refine outsourced character assets
- Incorporate scanned data into a sculpt based workflow
- Review all final characters in the game engine and feedback as required
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Extensive experience in the creation of high resolution 3D characters
- Proven ability to manage and organise small teams
- 4+ years professional experience as a Character Artist in the games industry
- Expert experience with current 3D modelling tools such as 3DS Max, Maya or equivalent
- Skilled with texture creation/authoring tools such as Substance
- A strong understanding of art fundamentals and anatomy
- Excellent communication skills with the capability to successfully work across multiple teams
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills
- A positive collaborative and professional working attitude
- Strong English skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work in Edinburgh, Scotland
If you'd like to know more about the position or the studio, get in touch with us!
Call +44 (0)1709 834 777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org