Senior Backend Engineer (Remote Options)
Tag Games – Dundee, UK
Aardvark Swift is currently supporting Tag Games in their search for a an experienced Senior Backend Engineer who will play an instrumental part in creating a brand new world-leading, cross platform IP played by millions of gamers. You will be part of a skilled core server side team, who are tasked with the creation of highly scalable systems built for consistency and low latency. The size and dynamic of this team will grant you considerable responsibility and autonomy in tasks and the design and implementation of our architecture.
Tag Games are an ambitious and growing mobile game studio based in Dundee, Scotland. The studio has a 15 year legacy of making mobile games for some of the biggest brands on the planet.
They're pushing the boundaries of gameplay in a new cross platform IP. If you have experience in developing games for PC, Mobile or Consoles then you might be the right person to help them deliver this AAA experience.
Their culture is collaborative and relaxed. They encourage feedback and support each other to solve problems – always striving to be the best they can be. They are driven by a passion for quality and delivering outstanding products, and are able to support candidates both in their Dundee studio and on a remote.
In this role, you will…
- Form the core of the Game Server Engineering team for development of an incredible cross platform product
- Develop a deep understanding of the infrastructure and services that will be used to run an MMO game service
- Plan and report project milestones and timescales on a continuous basis to all those involve
- Work closely with the rest of the Engineering team, defining and implementing key technical goals as well as goals and concepts to bring teams to the next level
- Assist in the construction of platforms, systems and networking infrastructure using your strong background in distributed systems, OS/kernel, network system design, and large-scale storage systems
- Create a culture of high quality and high performance within the Game Server Engineering team and build low latency solutions that are highly scalable and consistent
- Jump in to help the teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions
- Implement tools that empower Game-Design teams to create new and exciting gameplay experiences
- Load test, monitor, profile & optimise game servers
- Prioritise technical tasks and work with the team to plan for development
- Maintain a good awareness of technological changes to help future proof the live service to operate effectively
- Be a part of the rotating on-call schedule once the game is live
For this role, you will need…
- Professional experience as a senior member of a Backend as a Service team, ideally for 2+ years.
- A background in developing highly available back-end systems and servers for large-scale games or high-traffic web systems
- A history of building robust solutions with a test driven approach
- A track record of developing in C#, ideally using .Net Core/5/6.
- Experience writing serverless C# (AWS Lambda or equivalent)
- Strong knowledge of Unix-like operating systems
- Familiarity with SQL/NoSQL databases, ORMs and migration scripts
- Ability to write efficient low-latency, low-IO code
- Good understanding of how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating etc
- Experience in Git
- Good knowledge of networking i.e. TCP, HTTP, LB, NAT, WebSockets etc.
- Experience creating and working with a dockerized environment
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience working in C#/Unity, AWS, Docker, Terraform, Kibana, Chef, Ansible
- A background with automated testing
- Experience with stateful and stateless game server architectures
- Good knowledge of shell scripting i.e. bash, zsh
- A track record working with non-technical team members to find the best solution for design requirements
- Experience developing in Go
Interested in hearing more about this role or other opportunities?
Get in touch for a confidential chat!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834 777