Blackbird Interactive – Vancouver, CA
Blackbird Interactive are currently searching for a passionate and experienced Online Programmer to join their team to be a key part of their engineering backbone working on an exciting and innovative IP.
Do you love working in low level code, optimization, and being one of the developers of the core game engine? This position will work with their Lead Engine Programmer to ensure that the game is supported by the platforms on which it will ship.
You will be part of a high performing team who can rapidly prototype ideas and develop dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach and be directly involved in the day to day decision making and ship a high quality game.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Contributing to all areas of client-side online development in a modern C++ game engine
- Developing architecture, systems and features to support multiplayer gameplay on multiple platforms (PC, console)
- Integrating backend service solutions such as player stats, leaderboards and achievements
- Applying and growing your domain of expertise
- Interacting with other engineers to improve the whole technical team and process
- Collaboration with design and technical teams to define requirements and iteratively build solutions
- Jumping wholeheartedly into learning new technologies and systems and leverage them in creative ways to meet technical and business needs
- Assessing requirements and provide effort estimates to guide an evolving development plan
- Embracing and helping improve engineering practices for solid design, testing, and implementation
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 5+ years of game development on shipped products
- Expertise in online multiplayer development
- Comprehensive understanding of C++
- Self-directional mentality and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong interdisciplinary collaboration skillset, including verbal and written abilities
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience shipping AAA games
- a specialisation in Unity 3D, Unreal, or other similar full-featured game engines
- Console development background
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology
Blackbird are all about being true to their roots with a focus on their employees maintaining a positive work/life balance. It’s an area they’ve demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. They also offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules.
They also try to provide every opportunity possible for you to spearhead R&D initiatives through their BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Interested? To apply for this role or to learn more…
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777.