Narrative Director (Hybrid Working Options)
Ubisoft Toronto – Toronto, CA
Ubisoft Toronto are searching for a Narrative Director to join their team! Want to shape a brand new, large-scale AAA title with Ubisoft? This is a rare opportunity to join at the conception of a future giant of an IP.
As a Narrative Director at UbiTO, you will be at the helm of the creation of the embedded and emergent narrative elements that make up a living, breathing, reactive world. You’ll champion your narrative vision among other core team members, and work with your talented team of scriptwriters to bring it to life.
You let your team’s encouraging ideas shape the direction you set, and then drive it forward throughout production. Even when changes to gameplay (inevitably) come your way, you keep the focus on supporting the narrative and motivate your team to do the same. Thanks to your expertise and storytelling ability, you can step in to write content when need be, to help deliver an engaging experience for players to uncover.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Partnering with the creative and game directors to define the overall game and unify your visions
- Liaison with your team to brainstorm ideas, set benchmarks, share knowledge, provide feedback and coaching, present updates, etc
- Researching history, locations, and events to develop the game’s narrative vision and underlying themes
- Supporting writers in developing content (plot, setting, characters, barks, dialogue, events, lore, item descriptions, tutorials, etc.) & providing guidance to lead scriptwriters to achieve quality
- Communicating with collaborative teams to ensure consistency across the board
- Reviewing and discussing budgets and timelines with the Producer
- Casting actors & guiding voice-over and motion capture recordings
- Occasionally travel locally and abroad to present the game, meet with external partners, etc
- Assisting with any marketing and public relations projects, and helping with localisation needs
- Participating in recruitment to build your scriptwriting team & foster their growth
The skills and experience you'll need…
- At least 5 years of writing in a professional environment within the games industry or other relevant experience
- 2 years in leadership roles
- Credits on AAA Games as a writer or narrative designer
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Interested in this role? Want to know more? Get in touch with Dan Hawkins on 01709 834777 or email email@example.com