Live Operations Director
Build a Rocket Boy – Edinburgh, UK
Build A Rocket Boy are on the lookout for a Live Ops Director to join them in developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure. The team behind this under-wraps title are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time.
Build a Rocket Boy are a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
The Live Operations Director, reporting directly to the Studio Head and Business Director, is a critical role at Build A Rocket Boy. As Live Ops Director, you will be the primary owner of the game’s operational P&L as well as the manager, architect, and vision-keeper of the live ops organisation.
In this role, you will work closely with the Business, Marketing, Finance, and Production teams within Build A Rocket Boy, as well as being the key interface for external partnerships including, but not limited to, publishing and investment partners.
You will be responsible for maintaining the Live Ops roadmap, interfacing with key stakeholders both internally and externally to build up the launch and support infrastructure for the game, in the areas of Product Management, Community & Customer Care, Insights, and Dev Ops.
You will also be responsible for taking over the line management, mentorship, and growth of Build A Rocket Boy Live Ops Leads, all located in Edinburgh. The team’s success is your success, and the importance of mentoring and growing the group and their direct reports cannot be understated.
You'll come with strong operational expertise in AAA, F2P, or Mobile Games as a Service. The ideal candidate has exceptional communication, planning, mentorship, and conflict resolution skills.
As a Live Ops Director, you will…
- Build an online operations & publishing plan, supported by comprehensive business models, for a world class live game service
- Maintain accountability for planning and executing on the user journey: acquisition, retention & game experience, and re-activation
- Forecast and set product strategy to drive results for the game service that optimise all key business metrics
- Work closely with Marketing and Brand departments to define the go-to-launch operational strategy
- Run the overall Live Ops Project on a day-to-day basis
- Act as a key point of contact for external publishing partners, investors, and 3rd party tools and services as appropriate
- Work closely with the Production team to facilitate state of the art operations of online services, taking day-to-day decisions with the leadership team in favour of the best long-term outcome
- Grow and lead the Live Operations team to meet the needs of the game service and in alignment with key strategic partners
- Ensure that the game checks all legal requirements for the operation in different countries (age rating, data security protection, etc.)
The skills and experience you'll need…
- A minimum of 10 years in a Product Management, Live Operations, Live Production, or equivalent position in the gaming industry, with at least 3 years in a Senior leadership role. Publishing and Development roles are both valid
- At least 2 launched titles in a Product or Operations Lead role
- A keen knowledge and usage of worldwide trends in AAA, Mobile, and F2P gaming
- Tangible experience working with business modelling and scenario planning
- Extensive background with standard Product & Project Management tools, including Excel, JIRA, Data Frontend (Looker / Amplitude / Tableau), SQL, etc.
- A track record defining, iterating, and executing strategies in your field of expertise
- Project Management background in a cross-functional or large scale team
- A keen eye for live game analysis and asking meaningful questions that can drive actionable data insights
- A desire to work in a unique “AAA Start-up” environment – they run lean, and expect that you know when to jump in, when to delegate, and when to seek external solutions
- Exceptional communication and presentation skillset, written and verbal, in English.
- Team Leadership experience, at a Senior, Director, or VP level; you know how to hire and have helped to build a team.
- A background working in an Agile environment is a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, and/or equivalent experience
Interested? Want to know more?
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777