Supermassive Games – Guildford, UK
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced Lighting Artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to take ownership of the lighting of environments and characters for one of their games. You'll need to ensure that it meets the art direction requirements of the game whilst adhering to any technical restrictions.
The skills and XP you'll need include:
- 3+ years of experience as a Lighting Artist or equivalent Senior Artist role, working on at least one AAA title
- In-depth understanding and practical experience of lighting in either real-time gaming engines or in high-end CGI productions
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to work with both realistic and stylised lighting/visual styles
- An excellent understanding of composition and colour theory
- Experience using Unreal Engine would be an advantage, but not a necessity
Your day-to-day will include tasks such as:
- Taking game scenes and lighting them to both a creative and technical brief
- Helping to drive narrative story telling through effective use of colour, light and mood
- Using lighting to help convey emotional experiences
- Working closely with the art team to improve workflows and processes
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as 3D Modelers, VFX Artists, Graphics Programmers, and Level Designers to create great AAA game experiences
You'll need to be competent with the below programs:
- Unreal Engine or similar (Unity, CryEngine, Frostbite, etc.)
- Baked and real-time lighting techniques in modern game engines
- Rendering engines such as Renderman, VRay, Mental Ray, or Arnold would be useful.
- Compositing and colour grading experience is preferred
You should also be:
- Constantly looking to push art quality and try out new ideas
- Highly positive and with a proactive work ethic
- An excellent communicator with good presentation and negotiation skills
- Flexible and open-minded
- Determined and self-motivated
- Prepared to rise to a challenge
- Team focussed
- Creative and innovative
Interested in hearing more about this role?
Get in touch!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777