Lead VFX Artist
Ubisoft Reflections – Newcastle, UK
This is your chance to work with an industry-leading studio who have a successful track record of producing critically acclaimed AAA games! With a range of top titles to their name, the studio’s objective is to combine technical expertise, flair, and innovation, to create memorable experiences for gamers around the globe.
Due to their continued success, they're looking for a Lead VFX Artist to lead, mobilise, and develop an art team within a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment. You'll define and track the schedule for the team, manage and mentor team members, and be a key player in the artistic style of the project.
Your day-to-day will involve the following tasks:
- Develop performance and expertise within your new team whilst furthering your own knowledge
- Prioritise, plan, and organise your own work, and that of your team, in conjunction with the Producer/Associate Producer
- Be the main contact for a collaborating studio or outsource partner regarding VFX and lighting
- Review and deliver work in accordance with the project's artistic direction and deadlines
- Identify and set-up best practices, work-flows, and pipelines
- Report to the production team on the progress of work and any issues or risks relating to the project
- Facilitate training initiatives for the team, as required, in liaison with the Learning & Development Manager
- Rapidly integrate strategic changes in direction into your team’s work
- Make suggestions that are in-line with the game's market positioning
- Keep open channels of communication across your team, collaborating studio, and outsource partners
- Produce schedules alongside a member of production with respect to constraints
- Act as a hiring manager to recruit highly skilled talent for your team and the studio
- Manage the on-boarding process for new starters in your team;
- Regularly update your team and production (including the use of ‘scrums’)
- Manage individual team members’ performance and progress
- Conduct regular 1-to-1 meetings with your team members to assess progress towards career goals, maintaining good morale and resolving issues
- Conduct appropriate ad-hoc tasks as and when required
- There may be some element of travel involved with this role
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Excellent lighting or VFX abilities (or a combination of both)
- Good understanding of the fundamentals of lighting or VFX, and how these are translated into in-game world art
- Familiarity with data management software (such as Perforce) is desirable
- Excellent working knowledge of industry standard graphics applications (e.g. Maya, Max, Nuke, etc)
- Knowledge of the video game industry and awareness of typical video game development processes is desirable (e.g. game engines, 3D model toolsets, and production pipelines)
Interested in learning more about this role?
Get in touch with us!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777