Lead VFX Artist
Smilegate – Barcelona, ES
Smilegate Europe are looking for an experienced and talented Lead FX Artist, to join their growing team of developers. They're looking for an individual that has an understanding of memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, animation, programming and design concerns, understands PBR lighting basics and material authoring.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Working with the Art Director to set the art style and visual standard for the team by the creation of art assets, a mastery of internal technology and tools pipeline and departmental production dependencies.
- Collaborating closely with the graphic engineering team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve visual effect quality
- Combining efforts with Art, Cinematic and Development teams to create industry leading FX throughout our environments, characters, weapons/vehicles and cinematic sequences
- Utilising your expertise in Unreal Engine FX tools with an emphasis on Houdini FX
- Evaluating and initiating processes and features needed to improve and streamline production
- Helping standardize the workflow and pipelines for asset creation
- Collaboration with Design, Engineering, and the Technical Art staff on FX pipeline
- Coordinating with Development Management Team to understand the evolving needs of the studio
- Mentoring a team of FX artists, supporting and promoting a growth mindset amongst the staff
- Participating in planning and milestone delivery for the FX
The skills and experience you'll need…
- Current-generation AAA video game platform track record with two or more published titles. To ensure a wide perspective on potential methods, familiarity with multiple engines and toolsets is desirable
- Excellent communication skillset and ability to work collaboratively – must be open to direction and able to embrace and manage others through change
- Exceptional portfolio of FX artwork, including significant
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics, ribbons, shaders, etc. real-time work.
- Ability to showcase outstanding use of fluid dynamics, timing, animation, color and lighting in the creation of photorealistic, high quality effects for environments and dynamic objects
Bonus points if you have…
- An extensive technical art background in FX, with a focus on shader writing.
- Experience authoring rendered FX in packages such as the Adobe Suite, Maya/Max and Houdini.
- Scripting and/or visual scripting experience (Unreal’s Blueprints, etc.)
Don't hesitate to get in touch!
Email Liam.firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777