Lead Technical Artist
Guerrilla Games – Amsterdam, NL
Guerrilla Games are looking for a Lead Technical Artist to inspire and guide their talented team of Tech Artists! They're the Amsterdam-based studio behind the critically acclaimed action RPG Horizon Zero Dawn and the upcoming Horizon Forbidden West.
Guerrilla's Tech Art Team works closely with other teams (Art, Tools, QA) to support efficient asset generation and management. Using a unique combo of technical skill and artistic insight, Guerrilla's Tech Artists create the connective tissue between Art and Code.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Working closely with the Art Directors and production to drive and evangelize the artistic vision of our studio productions
- Overseeing the development of art pipelines including proprietary tools, software plug-ins, and in game technology
- Guiding and supporting the technical art team, overseeing shader development, graphics technology, tooling and performance ensuring high quality
- Assisting in planning asset production in collaboration with the asset, FX, concept, character, and level teams
- Mentoring and motivating your team to level up their skills, process and technical/artistic techniques;
- Acting as a bridge between the art and tech teams and fostering clear communication between the disciplines
- Identifying industry trends and improvements to workflow and efficiency such as modular building techniques and proceduralism;
- Collaborating with Art Management to build, source and extend our team with global AAA talent, including training external partners as well as reviewing and ensuring ultimate quality
The skills and experience you'll need…
- A minimum of 5 years’ of technical development in the entertainment industry serving in a leadership role
- Proficiency with creating assets within next generation art pipelines with expertise in at least three of the following areas: rigging, scripting, shader development, lighting, and visual effects
- A familiarity with at least one development language such as mel, python, c#, or c++
- An intuition for effective collaboration and communication with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure that technical art vision is serving project needs
- A comprehensive knowledge of 3D packages (Maya, Houdini, Max, etc.);
- Expertise with shader construction, ideally using both graph networks and hand coding
- A proven ability to mentor, guide and motivate a team effectively
- A background managing, scheduling, critiquing, and administering performance reviews for a team of artists
- Self-motivated and committed to self-development of your managerial skills
- You have a passion for games.
Are you interested in learning more about this role?
Get in touch with Jasmin for a confidential chat about the role, studio and their culture.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777.