Lead Level Designer
Red Kite Games – Leeds, UK
Red Kite has a fantastic opportunity for a Lead Level Designer to join their team to help develop a AAA multiplayer PvE game. Working closely with other discipline leads, you will guide your team of Level Designers to create a compelling player experience.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in the creation of an original game within the universe of an award-winning IP. As a Lead Level Designer, you are responsible for realising the design vision through engaging mission maps and championing design quality.
Specialising in AAA PC/console development, Red Kite has a proven track record in the creation of cutting-edge games across varying genres. Having set up home in the beautiful Grade-II listed Park Row House in Leeds city centre, Red Kite continues to develop top-quality games for multiple world-class AAA publishing partners such as Microsoft, Sony, Activision, 2K, SEGA, 505, Remedy, Rare and Codemasters.
It’s a very exciting time to join Red Kite; not only are they working on multiple high-profile games for current-gen and new-gen platforms, they're also developing their own IP.
Here’s what we can tell you about…
- They’re helping to develop a AAA open world, action game in one of the biggest IPs in the world.
- They're working on a new PvE 1st person shooter based on an award-winning IP for new-gen platforms.
- They're developing an unannounced, high-profile AAA 1st person shooter for new-gen platforms in UE5.
- They're porting a hugely successful AAA battle royale game to multiple console platforms
- They're porting an award-winning AAA action game to a new-gen streaming platform
As a Lead Level Designer, you will…
- Guide the creative vision for the mission maps and review moment-to-moment gameplay
- Work closely with design leads to create cohesion between the game’s mechanics, narrative and tools
- Regularly update directors and stakeholders, collating feedback into tasks for your team
- Be the players’ advocate: Understand their needs and ensure that mission maps created by your team contribute to an engaging player experience
- Establish level design best practices
- Recognise the individual abilities of each member of your team, mentoring them through regular catchups and formal appraisals
- Create a positive inclusive work environment that will grow team motivation and performance
For this role, you'll need…
- 5+ years in Level Design or relevant roles
- Significant involvement in the level design of multiple game titles, with preferably a full cycle on a AAA title (or equivalent) at Senior level or higher
- A proven ability to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical, in a succinct manner
- An ability to collaborate with different disciplines and audiences
- An appreciation for existing games and an awareness of modern gaming trends; particularly in the multiplayer PvE genre
- A drive to inspire and cultivate talent
- A forward-thinking attitude towards inclusivity and mental health
Bonus points if you have…
- Shipped one or more commercial titles in a lead design role
- Custom game engine experience
- Scripting knowledge (e.g., C#, Lua)
- Expertise in creating FPS or multiplayer games
- Prior experience in leading/managing/mentoring a team
Just some of the benefits of working with Red Kite include…
- Flexi-time, with early Friday finish
- Annual Bonus
- 27 Days Holiday (Minimum) – Including your birthday, Duvet Days and Christmas Eve
- 5 Learning & Development Days per year – Including Udemy Access
- Employee Assistance Programme – Including health, mental health and wellbeing support
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Leave
- Life Assurance & Income Protection
- Relocation Support & Visa Sponsorship
Interested? Call Lawrie on 01709 834 777 or email email@example.com