Lead Gameplay Engineer
Build a Rocket Boy – Edinburgh, UK
How does working on one of the most mysterious projects in gaming sound? From their minimalist website, to the numerous rumours surrounding the project, this new studio, founded by true industry pioneers, has got the gaming community’s heart beating.
As the Lead Gameplay Programmer, you will report to the Studio Programming Lead. You will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of gameplay systems for use by other game teams (primarily design and gameplay scripting, but including other key stakeholders).
While working in this position, you will also be responsible for line management of the gameplay programming team; as well as scheduling, prioritising, recruitment, and mentoring of more junior members of staff. You will provide technical leadership and be able to strike a balance between the immediate and long term needs of the project. The job will require flexibility, adaptability, and the ability to help solve problems that touch multiple disciplines.
Your day-to-day will involve tasks such as:
- Ensure delivery of high quality gameplay systems by the team
- Help define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult gameplay problems
- Line manage members of the gameplay programming team and communicate clearly
- Tune gameplay systems, based on high level design input, with minimal assistance
- Use appropriate data structures and algorithms to maximise efficiency (for both development time and runtime performance)
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Exceptional communication skills
- Comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff
- Capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code
- Experience managing a team
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills
- Extensive algorithm and data structure skills (including time and space complexity with real-world vs theoretical performance)
- Able to tune gameplay systems based on high level design input with minimal assistance
- Video game programming experience within gameplay systems, including having shipped at least one AAA PC/console title
Interested in learning more about this role or the studio?
Get in touch with us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777