Lead Character Artist
Playground Games – Warwickshire, UK
This is your chance to work for a studio who’ve created a number of critically-acclaimed and award-winning racing games. Established in 2010, our client have brought together some of the most experienced and talented developers with a vision to create genre-defining titles for a global audience.
Due to continued success, they are now looking for a skilled Lead Character Artist, responsible for the creation of immersive characters that realise their game’s vision.
Your technical and practical abilities will be well developed, and you’ll be able to grasp new concepts and programs quickly, as well as participating in R&D of new techniques to implement into the production pipeline.
Your day-to-day will include tasks such as:
- Lead, motivate, and inspire your team to maintain and push the visual quality of the title, whilst delivering within production's needs
- Management of the character team, including holding regular check-ups, setting objectives, looking after the wellbeing of the team, and providing the support that might be needed in their daily work
- Act as a point of contact for your team
- Represent the team and bring their voice in discussions across the project
- Oversee the work of other team members whilst mentoring and developing them
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed in this role:
- Multiple shipped titles (ideally AAA), seeing production from initial phase through to delivery
- Strong interest in self-development of managerial skills
- Understand the importance of communication and collaborative problem-solving skills
- Work together with Producer and art managers to develop a strategy, coordinate character art resources, and schedule/prioritise based on project needs
- A strong understanding of technical aspects of character creation, together with a proactive drive for efficiency in work methods
- Good understanding of current generation production workflows in relation to character art production
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy, proportions, mechanics, characterisations, and archetypes
- Examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour, and lighting.
- Able to provide clear and consistent feedback as well as being confident enough to critique based on art direction and any technical considerations
- Strong understanding of creating meshes with clean topology for deformation to support and collaborate with animation and tech animation
- Solid understanding of clothing creation software such as Marvellous Designer
- Good knowledge of texture creation packages such as Substance Designer and Substance Painter
- Comfortable with the latest versions of Zbrush or Mudbox
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art.
For more information about this excellent role, get in touch with us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777