Game Server Engineer (Java)
Guerrilla Games – Amsterdam, NL
Do you want to work as a Game Server Engineer for the critically acclaimed Guerrilla Games? Established 21 years ago and based in the heart of the beautiful city of Amsterdam, Guerrilla Games are best known for the AAA game series' Killzone (multiplayer FPS) and the visually stunning Horizon Zero Dawn. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive and employ more than 400 people from across 25 different nationalities.
As the Game Server Engineer, you will be forming part of the Online Tech team that builds online systems and works with various other disciplines to create tools needed to build online game features. The team also delivers the networking and replication layers for both game client and server, integration with online platform services (e.g. PSN), authentication, matchmaking, leader boards, and online player profiles.
In addition, they also work in close collaboration with the Online Infrastructure team, which designs and maintains the build and deployment environments for our servers.
The technological landscape…
- C++ and custom UDP-based protocol to sync multiple game clients in real time, for everything else, they use industry-standard web technologies: Java, Tomcat and Spring
- Their games communicate through REST and has a persistent HTTPS connection to receive notifications
- They share as little state as possible between web instances and use Hazelcast to synchronize when needed
- Services are hosted using Amazon EKS and other AWS services like S3 and DynamoDB are used to store persistent data
- Modern Angular app to facilitate moderation and run-time service management
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Helping build a highly scalable and highly available online server environment
- Working on player systems focused on persistence, safety, retention, and engagement
- Cooperating with multiple internal stakeholders and disciplines to achieve the game’s vision
- Developing, testing and maintaining their zero downtime deployment system
- Integrating the game servers with the PlayStation Network and other third party services
- Building and maintaining the Angular management app if you are comfortable with TypeScript
- Assisting in integrating the backend services in the game client if you are comfortable with C++
- Collaborating closely with the DevOps Engineers in the Online Infrastructure team to ensure robustness, scalability and performance of their servers
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 2+ years of Java server development background (gaining this in the game industry)
- Comfortable working on a large codebase
- Solid understanding of software design and architecture, and enjoy writing code that is both maintainable and performant;
- A familiarity with web-related technologies (e.g. HTTP, REST, Message Queuing)
- Expertise with version control systems such as Git and Perforce;
- An interest in online gaming
Just some of the benefits of working with Guerrilla Games include…
- Visa sponsorship for you and your family
- Extensive relocation support
- 30% tax reduction benefit for first 5 years
- Profit share bonuses, milestone bonuses, and a yearly discretionary bonus
- Pension scheme and health insurance
If first-class games, beautiful open worlds, exhilarating combat, and incredible storylines get your blood pumping, then get in touch now!
Interested in learning more about this opportunity?
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777