Combat Designer (Remote Options)
Build a Rocket Boy – Edinburgh, UK
The design team at Build a Rocket Boy Games is expanding! They’re looking for a passionate and exceptional Combat Designer to join them either in their newly refurbished Edinburgh office, or remotely!
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure. They are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time, and a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
The Combat Designer will implement and tune weapons in Unreal 4, work with the environment and missions teams to improve the combat experience, oversee playtesting and evaluate community feedback.
For this role, you will need to be an insightful and creative team player with an enthusiasm for creating exciting and engaging combat scenarios, maintaining design documentation and working iteratively towards building one of the most ambitious projects in games. A strong eye for detail combined with clear and concise communication is a must.
As a member of the Gameplay team, you’ll work closely with the game director and the core design group and to create and maintain the vision across the Everywhere project. This is a great opportunity to develop your skills alongside an incredible worldwide team.
As a Combat Designer for Build a Rocket boy, you will…
- Work closely with the design team to build, iterate and balance weapons and combat systems
- Direct gameplay harmony between player locomotion, combat systems and level design
- Drive additional features that elevate the combat experience, including health systems and signs & feedback
- Playtest regularly and provide feedback on combat systems, features and other components of the game
- Ability to analyse and evaluate information and communicate to the team
- Maintain clear design documentation
- Become a hub of knowledge for the combat experiences, for all production disciplines
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 3+ years of professional development in a combat design position
- A strong portfolio of projects or features you can break down and discuss
- A passion for games and an ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically
- An anticipation to iterate and adapt based on gameplay needs or technical challenges
- Data management and editing with Excel or similar background
- Expertise with PvP and PvE balancing
- A history with or passion for a variety of weapon types and genres
- Specialisation with Unreal Engine is a plus
- Industry knowledge including new design methodology and multiplayer trends
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then this opportunity could be for you. They have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and consider WFH candidates.
Interested? Want to know more?
Give Lawrie a call on 01709 834 777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org