Backend Engineer (Remote Options)
Tag Games – Dundee, UK
Tag Games are searching for a Backend Engineer to join their talented team in Dundee, Scotland (with remote working options available). As their new Backend Engineer, you will play an instrumental part in creating a brand new, world-leading, cross platform IP. You will be part of a skilled core server side team, tasked with the creation of highly scalable systems built for consistency and low latency. The size and dynamic of this team will grant you considerable responsibility and autonomy in tasks.
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Establishing the core of the Game Server Engineering team
- Working closely with the rest of the engineering team, defining and implementing key technical goals, as well as concepts, to bring teams to the next level
- Designing the architecture and implementing server side game logic, in line with the technical direction of their product
- Nurturing a culture of high quality and performance within the Game Server Engineering Team while constructing low latency solutions that are highly scalable and consistent
- Jumping in to help the teams with troubleshooting and research of technical solutions
- Implementing tools that empower game design teams to create new and exciting gameplay experiences
- Loading, testing, monitoring, profiling, and optimising game servers
- Prioritising technical tasks and working with the team to plan for development
- Playing a part in the rotating on-call schedule once the game is live
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 3+ years professional development, as part of a team, working on backend as a service
- Expertise in developing highly available backend systems and servers for large-scale games (or high-traffic web systems)
- Confident developing in Python, ideally using frameworks like Celery and Tornado
- A mastery of Unix-like operating systems
- Familiarity with Redis (or other database systems), ORMs, and migration scripts
- An ability to write efficient low-latency, low-IO code
- A high-level understanding of how to prevent intrusions, injections, cheating, etc
- Experience in Git
- An aptness in networking i.e. TCP, HTTP, LB, NAT, WebSockets, etc.
- A background in creating and working with a dockerised environment
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience working in C# / Unity and AWS, Docker, Terraform, Kibana, Chef, Ansible
- Familiarity with automated testing
- A background using stateful and stateless game server architectures
- A solid comprehension of shell scripting i.e. bash, zsh, etc
- A confidence working with non-technical team members to find the best solution for design requirements
- An aptitude for developing in Go
Tag Games are an ambitious and growing mobile studio based in Dundee, Scotland. They have a 14 year legacy of making mobile games for some of the biggest brands on the planet, making them the PERFECT next step in your career journey.
Tag are embarking on their most ambitious and exciting title yet, developing a brand new cross platform IP in partnership with a world renowned publisher. They are looking for passionate new people to join them on their quest to forge a place in players' hearts.
Their culture is collaborative and relaxed, encouraging feedback and supporting each other to solve problems, always striving to be the best they can be. They are driven by a passion for quality and delivering outstanding products, and you can certainly tell!
If you'd like to learn more about this role, get in touch!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777