Well Played Games – Leamington Spa, UK (Remote Possible)
We are supporting Well Played Games, an experienced and ambitious video game development company based in Leamington Spa. They are a talented studio who develop a wide variety of games across a range of platforms.
They are looking for an experienced Backend Engineer to join their technical team as they begin their next phase of growth.
You will be responsible for the design and development of microservices which support new game features. You will also be involved in the rest of the team’s backend work by providing technical oversight, support, and code review.
As an experienced Backend Engineer, you will be encouraged to contribute to the analysis and pragmatic selection of technologies and paradigms, and to the overall quality, reliability, scalability, and performance of their online services.
At Well Played Games, their technology strategy has been to focus on loosely-coupled microservices and established paradigms, in order to overcome the limitations of monolithic third party solutions and ‘home-rolled’ proprietary tech.
They believe strongly in using the right tool for the job, in not reinventing the wheel, and in satisfying a project’s requirements with reusable game-agnostic components.
They are not tied to any one specific technology or provider, and for their server infrastructure have leaned into Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes for unlimited scalability.
Their backend infrastructure was built alongside development of Warhammer Combat Cards, a large-scale online mobile title. Their suite of microservices, written primarily in NodeJS and Golang, support the features and live operations of the game, as well as team workflow through automation and continuous integration. They are now iterating on the quality and performance of their server-side infrastructure and services, while extending to support new game features and future projects.
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Extensive experience delivering backend services through design, development, deployment, release, and servicing
- A high level of skill in NodeJS or Go
- Experience working with cloud platforms, ideally Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Comfortable working with Linux containers, especially Docker and Kubernetes
- A keen eye for deconstructing problems and an architectural mindset
- A strong interest in trends and developments in cloud technology
- Excellent communication skills, especially with regard to collaborative technical design, knowledge sharing, and driving high standards
If you are interested in applying for this or similar roles?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777