Art Director (Remote)
Orbital – Farnborough, UK
Orbital are on the lookout for an Art Director to join their team on a fully-remote basis!
nDreams, an award-winning independent developer and publisher, delivering world-leading interactive VR experiences, have recently established a brand new, full remote studio: Orbital. They’re looking for talented people to help pioneer development in live service games for VR that will entertain players for years.
As the Art Director, you will be hiring and mentoring a diverse team of artists to create genre leading games. You will be driving the artistic vision of products, creating benchmark artwork and upholding the integrity of the studio’s visual identity.
Your exceptional visual communication skills and ability to build a team are what make you an ideal candidate. The role will encompass ‘hands-on’ exploration, concepting and implementation during the initial stages, before progressing to leadership, management and responsibility for the overall artistic vision. You will ultimately be responsible for forging your department from scratch with the exciting possibilities that entails.
Orbital have the speed and creative flexibility of a start-up, with the experience and backing of the team behind Fracked, Far Cry: Dive Into Insanity and #1 Selling, Award-winning Phantom: Covert Ops.
This is an exciting opportunity to be at the heart of both a new team and project right from the start; to become one of the founding members of the nDreams: Virtual Studio and create world-class VR experiences.
The type of person you'll be…
- Driven: You love making games and aspire to be the best at your craft
- Trustworthy: You are open, honest and dependable
- Team Player: You and the team are stronger when working together
- Articulate: You communicate ideas clearly both in verbal and written form
Your role and responsibilities will include…
- Building and shaping the team via hiring, managing & mentoring a team of artists
- Forging the product’s brands from scratch, balancing creativity with commercial pragmatism
- Evaluating, selecting and overseeing the use of all art tooling
- Defining, implementing and upholding art style guides and best practices
- Assessing product requirements, raising potential risks and propose solutions
- Hands-on creation of mockups for characters, environments and gameplay features during the initial phase of studio growth
The skills and experience you'll need…
- 7+ years of professional development in the videogames industry, including credits on at least 3 shipped titles
- A deep knowledge of common games engines (Unreal or Unity) and other industry packages (Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush etc.)
- An in-depth understanding of 3D and 2D art pipelines
- Expertise achieving stunning visuals for constrained devices (e.g. mobile, VR, handheld)
- A background in people management, with the ability to proactively identify problems, propose solutions and enable the team to be the best
- A comfortability working in an Agile environment and responsive to change in the face of uncertainty
- A diverse and all-round knowledge of the games industry and business trends.
- A self-starter able to forge both a fully functioning team and art pipeline from the ground-up
Interested? Get in touch! email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777