Build a Rocket Boy – Edinburgh, UK
Made up of industry veteran talent and well-known names, this is an exciting time to join our client as they scale up to develop their newly founded studio! They're working on an ambitious and ground-breaking open-world game and they'd love for you to join them.
To deliver on the well-deserved hype surrounding their title, Build a Rocket Boy are looking to add an Art Director to their team. As a new IP, there is considerable scope for innovation and experimentation, and the role will involve significant hands-on creative work as well as directing. The successful applicant will also be motivated to improve workflows, and will have experience working with large teams.
Your day-to-day tasks will include:
- Motivate and inspire the art team, ensuring that the artistic style and mood are consistent with the defined visual style
- Manage and develop the Art Leads across the company, hold regular one-to-ones, set objectives, look after the team's welfare, and provide mentoring
- Drive the visual quality in collaboration with the Directors and Leads, practically adapting and re-prioritising creative and technical artistic changes
- Provide active and on-going communication regarding the art team status & professional development, review staffing plans regularly in relation to the current project phase and objectives
- Collaborate with production and discipline leads on project planning, workflows, and visual direction
- Oversee and provide detailed feedback to multiple art disciplines including 2D, 3D, Lighting, VFX, and Concept Art
- Establish best practices, methods, and pipelines for the art team, as well as a plan for the development or acquisition of technology and tools
- Help to deliver world-class quality across all artistic disciplines of the project
- Provide clear and concise visual direction and guidance across all art development, and ensure that reviews of all digital assets deliver feedback in a timely manner
- Share your passion for excellence and create inspiring artwork/style guides to clearly promote visual quality standards
- Continually look for opportunities to innovate and improve the visual quality of the project
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Shipped at least one AAA title from concept to retail as an Art or Assistant Art Director
- Highly proficient in current development tools and software such as Unreal, Maya, 3DS Max, Zbrush, Substance, and Photoshop
- Be a confident art leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to articulate visual ideas with clarity and conviction, as well as being able to provide clear feedback and guidance
- Keen eye for what works visually, with the ability to understand and stay focused on the big picture
- Good understanding of essential art principles; colour and lighting theory, composition and staging techniques, as as well as UI, UX, and VFX
- Ability to creatively supervise and drive artwork
- Confident in directing other artists and can lead by example
- An exceptional understanding of up to date game development technical processes, with a keen interest in the latest technology workflows and advancements
- Driven to proactive learning, evaluating, and evangelising of appropriate usage of new software, tools, and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualise a creative vision and establish quality benchmarks for the team
- Track record of proactive problem solving, working in collaboration with other discipline leads, and building bridges outside of the art team as required
- You must be eligible to work in the UK and travel to other studio and partner locations when required
Interested in learning more?
Get in touch!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777