Variable State – London, UK
Variable State are looking to hire an experienced gameplay animator on an 18-24 month contract as they work on the final phase of their exciting next project.
This is a remote role and can be worked from home from anywhere in the UK.
Variable State is the award-winning game studio co-owned by Jonathan Burroughs, Terry Kenny and Lyndon Holland. Their debut game, Virginia, was released in 2016 and published by 505 Games. The game was nominated for multiple awards, including 4 Independent Games Festival awards and 3 BAFTA awards. Virginia won the Writers' Guild Award for Best Writing in a Video Game.
As an Animator at Variable State, you will…
- Collaborate with the Art Director, Tech Animator, and Designers to help define the look and setup of in game animations
- Create convincing and lifelike motion with a focus on first person animations
- Create first person animations and prepare for setup in Unreal
- Iterate motion based on game design and art feedback
- Support iteration on motion capture and contribute to creation and clean up of creature animation
For this role, you will need…
- To be capable of working from an animation brief, collect and present reference, key-frame in Maya and export FBX to Unreal
- Experience working with motion capture
- To be open to feedback and eager to seek out feedback when needed, open to change, and keen to iterate on work
- To have shipped at least one game title or other relevant industry experience
- A reel demonstrating a solid understanding of animation principles
- Knowledge of Maya and some familiarity with the setup and exporting finished assets into a game engine (Unreal preferred)
- A working knowledge of Unreal and the animation pipeline
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Fluency in English
Bonus points if you have…
- Experience in first person animation and creature animations
- General knowledge and understanding of rigging and skinning characters
- A thorough understanding of film and visual storytelling
- An interest and a vocabulary in visual art that extends beyond video games and into contemporary art, design, and fashion
- Experience and knowledge of other traditional arts such as painting, sculpting, figure drawing, and illustration
- An interest and knowledge of other aspects of video game development
Interested? Want to know more?
For more information regarding this role please contact email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834 777 now!